LAKE GENEVA -- The resident of a Lake Geneva home escaped injury Saturday night after noticing smoke coming from the walls around their fire place.
Lake Geneva firefighters responded to the call at 11:11 p.m. Nov. 19, 2016 and found fire in the area of the fireplace chimney and ceiling of the single family home at 1113 Madison St.
The resident, who had exited the home, called 911 after noticing light smoke and the wall above the fireplace turning brown, according to a fire department news release.
Fire crews quickly knocked down the fire and conducted a primary search. Truck crews ventilated the roof and assisted with overhaul and salvage.
The living room and fireplace received extensive damage.
The cause and origin are under investigation.
Crews cleared the scene at 1:10 am.
"Our crews worked hard and did a great job, containing the fire and preventing further loss. We are grateful there were no injuries, since nighttime fires can be very dangerous for sleeping residents. We encourage everyone to have fireplace chimneys cleaned and inspected regularly, as well as having working smoke detectors," Lake Geneva Fire Chief Chief John Peters was quoted as saying in the news release.