WalCoSunday2016   StatelineNewsLogo2017   MessengerLogo2016


Wednesday, 20 April 2016 15:29

After more than 60 years, serviceman’s remains to be returned to Beloit

Written by  CSI Media news staff
The C-124 in which George Ingram was flying slammed into this mountain wall above a glacier east of Anchorage in 1952 during bad weather. The crash site was rediscovered in 2012. The C-124 in which George Ingram was flying slammed into this mountain wall above a glacier east of Anchorage in 1952 during bad weather. The crash site was rediscovered in 2012.

BELOIT -- The remains of a U.S. serviceman who died in a 1952 plane crash in Anchorage soon will be returned to Beloit to be buried next to his parents in Eastlawn Cemetery in Beloit.

Airman First Class George Ingram, who was then 23, died on Nov. 22, 1952, when the U.S. Air Force C-124 Globemaster he was aboard crashed near Anchorage, Alaska.

The Air Force announced March 16, 2016 it had identified the remains of more service members who died in the crash.

Ingram’s obituary appeared this week on the website of Hansen--Gravitt Funeral Home in Beloit.

Services with military honors provided by the U.S. Air Force currently are pending.

Ingram’s family moved to Beloit from Mississippi when he was a teenager and became members of Emmanuel Baptist Church. Many of the Ingram family are still members to this day, according to his obituary.

His obituary continues:

Ingram was assigned to the 34th Air Transport Squadron at McChord Air Force Base in Washington. The aircraft encountered severe weather on the fatal flight and around 4 p.m. on Nov. 22, 1952, made a distress call that was faintly heard by a Northwest Orient Airlines Commercial flight.

The reception was poor, but the Northwest captain made out the sentence: "As long as we have to land, we might as well land here."

No further communication from the Air Force C-124 was ever heard again and subsequently the plane never arrived at Elmendorf.

The crash site and wreckage were discovered on Nov. 28, 1952, and on Dec. 9, 1952, a recovery crew once again reached the tail section, but found no trace of survivors or any additional wreckage.

They were forced to call off any further search and rescue operations by the inhospitable conditions and return to base camp. Shortly after, the U.S. Air Force declared that the 11 crew members and the 41 other service members aboard deceased.

All traces of the plane and its passengers were lost for another 60 years.

On June 9, 2012, the wreckage was spotted by the crew of an Alaska National Guard Black Hawk UH-60 Helicopter during a routine training mission about 45 miles east of Anchorage.

The rediscovery site was more than 12 miles from the original location because it was resting on the moving flow of the Colony Glacier for the past 60 years.

On June 28, 2012, the U.S. Military announced the discovery of the wreckage. Shortly thereafter a recovery operation was started by the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command.

On June 18, 2014, the Department of Defense announced that the remains of the first group of victims had been identified through DNA samples.

At the time of his death, George was survived by his parents and seven brothers, Frank, Richard, Halbert, Eleas, William, Walter and Roy. They have all since passed away. Ingram is survived by numerous family members including, nieces, nephews, cousins and other relatives.



Place An Ad

Placing an ad online is easy, just click here to get started!

Latest Jobs at Walworth County Careers


afcp new

paperchain new